City Hall F, Vienna (AT)
The new multifunctional Hall F for 2,000 visitors is a congenial addition to the impressive Wiener Stadthalle designed by Roland Rainer in 1958. Built based on the winning competition, the edifice marks a key location for Vienna’s urban development. Hall F delineates the space and defines the adjacent street patterns and squares, leaving the main role to the Rainer-building.
The crystalline, polygonal building fits perfectly into the wasteland between Hütteldorfer Strasse and the Stadthalle, allowing its struts to reflect on the glazed northern façade of the new building. This precise placement optimizes the rather unsatisfactory urban situation of the Rainer building and defines the adjacent square and street space.
The east front, facing the Gürtel stands out with exceeding 12 meters, forming a canopy above the entry.
Client: Stadthalle Wien
Location: A-1150 Wien, Vogelweidplatz 14
Architecture: Dietrich | Untertrifaller
Project management: Michael Porath, Peter Nussbaumer
Area: 13,660 m²
Capacity: 2,000 seats
Awards: 2007 Otto Wagner Städtebaupreis, 2006 Bauherrenpreis Österreich (Client Award Austria 2006)
site management, HAVCR, building physics: Vasko+Partner, Vienna / statics concrete: Kollitsch Stanek, Vienna / statics steel: Raunicher, Vienna / stage: Kottke, Bayreuth / acoustics: Müller-BBM, Planegg /// photos: © Bruno Klomfar
At the north side, opposite of the auditorium along the grand hall, the contrast between edges and lines are highlighted.
At night, the illuminated foyer opens up to enter into a dialogue with the space below the suspended tiers of Rainer’s structure. During the day, its southern façade is reflected in the glass wall of the new building. Amidst such conflicting tendencies, a rather well-calculated approach to volume and respectful distance achieves optimal results.
Organization & Spatial Program
The concert, show, and convention venue sits 2,000 visitors. The interior is clearly structured by short pathways and direct access routes. Two wide staircases on both sides of the entrance hall lead to the interval foyers, whose ascending floors follow the auditoriums seat rows and hence avoiding additional stairs. The spectators are not divided by levels; only a wide catwalk separates the seat rows, forming an extension of the stage. The VIP area is located in the rear end of the building, where short stairways lead to lounges in the back of the grand hall.
The different levels of the backstage area are ideally structured and provide quick access for deliveries. The rear sections of the building are outfitted with rehearsal and banquet halls, such as used for conventions. They are directly accessible from the foyers. The level above provide office space for administration and production.
Inside the wedge-shaped space below the auditorium, the spectator appears to be drawn into the foyer. The color of the cloakroom back wall turns into a dramatic point of reference. The walls of the backstage areas are painted green to complement the red auditorium.
The hall, wedge-shaped in longitudinal section, is entirely red. In contrast the entire stage equipment and lighting system appear as metal surfaces and noncolors.
The strong, atmospheric red also dominates in the foyers. Lacquered acacia wood adorns the ceiling and the floor, creating an elegant ambience, which becomes a striking signal to the outside.
Built in 1958, “Die Stadthalle”, built in 1958 by Roland Rainer, is one of the most important post-war buildings in Vienna. It is one of the first event centers, designed as a multi-purpose hall for thousands of people. The task was to extend it with a new building, “Halle F”, for concerts, congresses and other events. During the international competition 2002, our office has been awarded with the winning project equally convincing in terms of form, function and urban development.