Hypo Headquarters, Bregenz (AT)
The bank currently occupies the historic site of the Montfort hotel that was built in 1877. The regional Parliament of Vorarlberg settled there first and the architect Willibald Braun designed a neo-classic extension in 1921. When the Parliament moved out in 1984, postmodern style offices and a shopping center with a passage that leads towards the downtown area were designed to replace the most ancient part. In 2008, Hypo Landesbank Vorarlberg launched a restructuring project of the complex in order to install its headquarters there. The two buildings cohabit harmoniously, in open contrast, simply connected by a narrow vertical glazed band.
The bank was developed on four floors, with a rooftop terrace. The ground floor, entirely glazed, offers transparencies to the public areas. The central circulation path connects the various office floors and makes it possible to reach the old Parliament hall and the management offices through a patio. The new facades can be distinguished by their horizontal lines and anthracite window frames projecting from the ivory envelope.
Client: Hypo Immobilien
Location: A-6900 Bregenz
Architecture: Dietrich | Untertrifaller and Gerhard Hörburger
Project management: Susanne Gaudl
Area: 5,600 m²
2009 Bauherrenpreis Österreich (Austrian Client’s Award)
structural engineering: Mader & Flatz, Bregenz / HAVCR: Klimaplan, Hohenems / building physics: Künz, Hard / electronics: Hecht, Rankweil / façades: Mosbacher, Schwarzach /// photos: © Bruno Klomfar